It’s the time of the year again!
[kinda] Maintain relationship with loved ones
- Call pupu, papa, mama at least once a week. (didnt happen)
- Ask my friends how they doing and keep up with their lives (sometimes)
[x] Do something that scares me everyday
Talk to strangers. Understand how to start meaningful conversations and try them. Be confident in speaking. No mumbling Drive. Try something new.
[x] Make 3 close foreign friends
[x] Smooth driving experience. Careful and confident driving
[x] Contribute something significant to my company
Improve in software engineering Build a legit design and UI/UX portfolio Make improvements in relationships within company Learn some marketing and start-up skills
[ ] Fitness NOPE DID NOT HAPPEN
- Pick up a new sport/activity
- Dance classes and improve in dance
- Have a regular fitness regime (Can be gym or running)
[ ] Be conversational in Spanish NOPE
- Duolingo and Tandem
- Keep a notebook for it
[ ] Hobbies NOPE TOO
- Video-editing, filming for YouTube. Content-creating
- Improve photography skills by using my camera more often
- Write blog and think about issues regularly. Read news and opinions.
[x] NOC – Have some headway on a startup idea.
[ ] Develop 3 good habits NOPE
- Can be fitness, health, or mind
[I try. but not there yet] Be the best in everything I do
Alright so I’ve set some goals for 2018 before NOC but really, most of it were kinda natural. Which is kinda good I guess but also not good cuz it means I didn’t put in effort to do those that are harder to do without the program. Does that mean I will have to put in more effort when I head back? Yeah I think so. But this year has been so life-changing, living abroad and it got me thinking a lot about how I want my future to be like. Sigh it’s gonna be really hard to decide what to do after graduating and where to settle etc.
I think I still have 1 year to decide but I really should keep testing myself and trying different ways to live in order to know what I want. Just do and see what happens, never try never know.
NOC has taught me so much and this rushed resolutions page doesn’t do much justice to my year. I should sit down and reflect next week when my friends and parents have left Vancouver. But for now I just think I really enjoyed myself and opened my eyes to a whole new world. There are so many things that have changed me this year in terms of the way I think and view things, even though I don’t consciously keep track of the things I do and think about.
I am so, so thankful for the opportunity for this year. No regrets, no sadness because I know that it was a beautiful year and I will be working hard to get a life that I want in the coming years. It was definitely the company that made it so much better, and I will not deny that if I came back to the Bay alone, everything will be so different. I have learnt so much about myself and others from living with people, and humbled by the great things people do. But I just love making so many friends. I only wished I had more discipline to make myself go out and make more friends outside of Singaporeans. Nevertheless, I’m happy to reconnect with friends who dropped by, and also make new friends in the meantime. I learnt what I love and what I don’t, how I live, etc. There’s definitely much more to learn but I believe I have spent my year fruitfully and thus no regrets. I am very, very lucky to be here.
I’ve learnt to overcome a bit of that imposter syndrome and understand that everyone has their strengths. I do feel a lot more confident about myself but I believe I can work on it more in terms of talking to strangers. I also need to catch up on entertainment (lol first time hear this) – but I realised it’s really a good glue for making friends.
In my last year of school, I really want to get things straight and understand what I want to do with my time. I have been allowing myself to go with the flow for the past few years because I’ve been given too much free will. I just let myself do what I like – hang out with friends and sleeping…. So I really want to ADULT and TAKE CONTROL this year.
Live life to the fullest yes, but to make it even fuller I need to work harder on skills. No matter what interest it is, I need to make a good effort to improve on it to be satisfied. If I want to dance, I better practice and make sure I go for classes. If I want to improve on my engineering for career, I better go do some projects and not just let my classes dictate my life.
My year in 3 parts – one sem in hall, summer intern, one sem chilling in school without hall + finding job.
[ ] Find and do a fulfilling summer internship, hopefully in Canada/USA
[ ] Build my portfolio – UI/UX, programming
- Do my own UI/UX rebranding projects
- Consolidate my work
- Write code for startup ideas
- Do UI/UX work for people
[ ] Train hard on volleyball / find a fitness regime no matter what sport it is. Gym works too
- Dedicate some time to it regularly
[ ] Spanish!!!
- Dedicate some time to it regularly
[ ] Be very very conscious of my relationship with people, make each interaction MATTER.
- Make sure I thank people for things
- Be grateful for them ALL THE TIME, show gratitude in ways they will appreciate
- Help people wholeheartedly and passionately, but know how to reject politely when unable to do so
[ ] Build real networking relationships for career
- Go for events
- Talk to people about ideas
- READ more and talk more about them again
- Ask people out for coffee
[ ] Bring Bay Area to Singapore (Personal)
- Talk to strangers about ideas
- Diversity, Inclusivity, understand the real reason and how to adapt it
- Culture culture culture, ask why, probe more
- Independent, think beyond small matters (no complaining, gossiping)
- Make new friends and SHOW UP
- We are all HUMANS!! Look at everyone like they’re real people with stories
- Just Do It.
- Personal wellness comes first
- Stop going with the flow subconsciously
- Always find a better way to do things, stop being satisfied with status quo
[ ] Bring Bay Area to Singapore (Community)
- Do social good
- Women in Tech, Kids in Tech
- Be involved in events and talk to people about what they think about sg
- Work on some startup ideas – Women in Tech, Snipped, etc
- Talk to startups in SG and analyze them
[ ] Self-discipline
- Actually make habits WORK
- Build routine slowly but steadily